The Institute of Philosophy and Humanities (IFCH) at the State University of Campinas (Unicamp) invites undergraduate and graduate students, as well as post-doctoral applicants, to participate in the São Paulo School of Advanced Science (ESPCA) on Research Methods for the Humanities.
The ESPCA is an initiative of the São Paulo Research Foundation (Fapesp), which funds the organization of short courses (seminars) on advanced research in different fields of knowledge in the State of São Paulo.
The ESPCA on Research Methods for the Humanities will be in session from the 10th to the 21st of July 2017 at Unicamp (Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil). The courses (a total of 20 hours) will be administered in English, and the students admitted will be provided full funding by Fapesp. In addition to participating in the courses, students will workshop their own research.
Admitted students must enroll in two of the eight courses offered at the school, attending one each week.
All courses consist of a total of 20 hours divided into five sessions over two weeks (July 10 –14 and July 17–21, 2017)
Week 1 (July 10-14, 2017)
- Event History Analysis
- Digital Ethnography
- Kinship networks
- Multilevel Analysis for the Social Sciences
Week 2 (July 17-21, 2017)
- Methods for Subnational Population Projections
- Introduction to Game Theory
- Experiments in the Social Sciences
- Archival Ethnography: The Intersection of Anthropology and History
To apply, the candidate must submit five documents for review (the documents can be sent in English, Portuguese, or Spanish):
- The candidate’s statement of purpose, specifying the importance of these courses to the applicant’s academic formation and the expected date of completion of the student’s undergraduate, master’s, or doctoral degree.
- A one-page summary of the research project developed by the candidate.
- A letter of recommendation from the student’s advisor.
- Current university transcripts.
- CV with relevant information regarding the student’s scientific work (including publications in international scientific journals).
Students will be able to apply via this site between the 20th and 2nd of April 2017.
Admission selections will be announced on April 20, 2017.
 Students who live and/or are enrolled in educational institutions in Campinas, as well as Fapesp scholarship recipients, are not eligible for funding. A table listing the per diem allotted to visiting researchers by FAPESP can be found at www.fapesp.br/1086.